|Approaching Tepee Glacier, Nez Perce in the background|
|Crossing from Tepee Col To Glencoe Col|
When we turned the corner again and entered the Ford we were happy to find a shallow, icy runnel which made for fast booting. Now my fear of moving slowly and getting wet slid (we just would have bailed if it was taking too long) was replaced with the fear of skidding out and graphically rocketing out of the bottom of the Ford.
We topped out around 9AM, sat around for a few minutes enjoying the view and then made a few ugly turns in refrozen wet debris on the East Face. I just got a GoPro (kind of bro brah I know) and was excited to see what the footage would look like skiing from the summit but after recording 20 mins earlier in the day the battery had already died. 20 min battery life? And half the footage from earlier in the day did work? I hate that thing.
|The start of the Chevy Couloir|
|Lars mid Chevy|
|Topping out the Ford|
|The Grinch and I on the summit|
|Lars skiing off the summit|
|Turns off the summit, photo by Lars|
|Lars in the upper Ford|
|Shameless down-climbing over an icy runnel|
|Lars rapping over the waterfalls/ice bulges|
|Rapping mid Chevy, photo by Lars|
On Thursday Kit Deslauriers became the first woman to ski the Grand solo. She spoke about dodging wet slides on her way down the Tepee. Roughly 70% had of the Glacier had slid and massive piles of wet debris were covering the lower portions. Since it was now 11 and the sun was blazing we were leery of the remaining 30%. After a few aggressive ski cuts our slushy slough entrained the remaining heavy snow and rivers of wet debris ran the length of the Tepee. It was beautiful!
|Heading towards the Meadows|
|Nearing the end of the snow|
|The marmots think Hokas are ugly too and decided to eat Lars'|
Besides the bear we walked by, the way out was leisurely and enjoyable. Andy jokes that we should eradicate all bears. I wouldn't go that far but we sure did feel helpless thinking about being mauled by this little guy.
If this weekend's heat doesn't ruin it, the climbing's in and it's fantastic. Get it before it's too late!