Thursday, April 24, 2014

White Baldy - Ice on ice

Lars, Tom, and I all had the morning free and decided to head up White Baldy looking for "blower pow" from this past storm.  From the parking lot we could tell there was a little newish snow on the ground and I thought maybe the higher we go, the deeper it'd get.  I was wrong.

The climbing was fantastic, as usual, and the lower aspects even skied quite well but the upper aspects were down right scary.  There was ice everywhere. After Lars lost his edges high on White Baldy (he was happy to have a whippet) we all tucked tail, decided to side step all of the icy ice, and bail on our original plans opting instead for Thai Basil.  Shameful I know.
Tom Goth and Lars Kjerengtroen with Red Baldy in the background
A bit higher
The guys on the summit ridge
Lars mid ridge
Tom on the first patch of soft snow

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see I wasn't the only one out there sidestepping the icy weirdness. . . I kept looking around to make sure no one was watching ;-)

    ReplyDelete